LLM Oil, Gas and Mining Law
The new course builds upon our considerable expertise in this area and has been designed in response to the growing significance of legal issues surrounding the oil, gas and mining industry.
About the LLM Oil, Gas and Mining Law
This course will provide you with a strong analytical understanding of the key legal issues in the area, with a particular focus on the environmental law and investment law aspects of the oil, gas and mining industries.
It also draws on our strengths in international trade and commercial law, which will help you gain an appreciation of the oil, gas and mining industries in their global economic context.
The LLM Oil, Gas and Mining Law provides the foundations for a future career or further postgraduate (MPhil/PhD) study in most aspects of the regulatory and commercial world, as they relate to the international energy industry, with a specific focus on the petroleum and mining sectors of this burgeoning area of economic activity.
Why choose this course?
- Gain a strong analytical understanding of the key legal issues in this specialist and expanding area of Law.
- Gain an appreciation of the Oil, Gas and Mining industries in their global economic context.
- Benefit from our expertise in Oil, Gas and Mining as well as the complementary fields of International Trade and Commercial law.
- Choose a study route that suits you with full-time, part-time and distance learning options available
- Attend an International Summer School with the opportunity to explore Law in a European context.
- Scholarships available.
- Individual modules can be studied for Continuing Professional Development (CPD) awards.
You will complete six taught modules and an independently researched and written dissertation, under the supervision of an expert academic. In addition to four core modules you will also select two option modules.
The core modules are explicitly designed to ground the student in the general fields of international investment law and international environmental law as they relate to the petroleum and mining sectors of the energy industry. The general approach taken to the teaching of these core modules aims to afford maximum flexibility in the coursework assignments for individuals to write on legal issues that match their personal and / or career and future study interests.
You will study six taught modules followed by a dissertation.
- Oil, Gas and Mining Investment Law I
- Oil, Gas and Mining Investment Law II
- Oil, Gas and Mining and Environmental Law I
- Oil, Gas and Mining and Environmental Law II
You will also choose two modules from other subject areas. We strongly advise you to take modules from our International Trade and Commercial Law options, which are highly applicable to the Oil, Gas and Mining industries. Students studying by distance learning are required to undertake modules in International Commercial Transactions and International Competition Law.
You will need a good degree in Law (minimum 2.2) or an honours degree in another discipline, plus either the CPE (Common Professional Examination) or GDL (Graduate Diploma in Law) conversion qualification.
Applicants from other disciplines will be welcomed in appropriate circumstances, particularly if they have experience in the area, even if not as lawyers.
English language requirements
International students need to demonstrate they have sufficient knowledge of written and spoken English before starting the course. We usually require one of the following:
- IELTS 6.5 with a minimum of 5.5 in each skill.
- An equivalent English language qualification.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated November 19, 2015