- Professionals who are involved in the study process – experts of the Latvian Council of Sciences, lecturers of partner-higher education institutions (HEI).
- One of the first written code of laws in the world history had been developed during the rule of Babylonian king Hammurabi in 18th century B.C.
DEGREE: Academic Doctor’s degree in legal sciences (Dr. iur.)
DURATION OF STUDIES: 3 Academic Years
STUDY PROGRAMME: in English or Latvian
- you have an opportunity to work as the leading researcher in a scientific institution;
- if you want to work in the educational institution, you can be a candidate for the academic position of lecturer or professor;
- you can become a sworn advocate without passing the examination of advocate which is determined by article 14 of the Advocacy Law of the Republic of Latvia;
- you have an opportunity to become a scientific expert in legal sciences of the Latvian Council of Science.
MAIN AREAS OF STUDIES
Main areas of studies in the following sub-sectors of legal science are Theory and History of law, Civil law, Criminal law, State law, International law.
WHAT WILL YOU LEARN IN THIS STUDY PROGRAMME?
In the 1st Academic Year under the supervision of field professors, you will analyze problems in the area of legal theory and history. The focus will be on the current issues of material and procedural law in the areas of administrative, administrative procedural, criminal, criminal procedural, civil, civil procedural, intellectual property and international law.
In the 2nd Academic Year, you will continue doing research on problems in all legal disciplines; you will solve current issues of the chosen legal disciplines. Ph.D. students will have to take part in the development of bachelor and master programmes, acquire skills to carry out academic activity by lecturing, supervising diploma papers and master thesis. While developing a doctoral thesis, Ph.D. students will acquire skills and competencies to use scientific research methods.
In the 3rd academic Year, you will pay attention to terminology and development of scientific researchers. According to the Ph.D. requirements, you will continue researchers studied in previous years which will be presented at international scientific conferences, results of scientific researchers will be published in internationally recognized scientific journals. Development of doctoral thesis results in prepared conclusions and suggestions for theoretical and practical solution of the current problem in legal sciences.
REQUIREMENTS FOR RESEARCH PROPOSAL (WHEN APPLYING FOR Ph.D. PROGRAMME)
The scientific research article is required from Applicant to Doctoral (Ph.D.) Studies as one of the documents required to admit. The purpose of the research article to is twofold:
From one side it is necessary for University to understand what are the research objectives of the Applicant. The article is used to understand what is the scientific are of the research student is willing to pursue. Moreover, University is willing to understand the degree to which the scientific research has been done so far.
From other side research article is important also for Student – showing the academic field of interest, the purpose of possible Ph.D. Thesis (evolving from this article), problem area to be discovered and scientific abilities of the student. The article has to be viewed as your business card – introducing your interests and the possible topic of Ph.D. Thesis.
The article has to be designed according to international requirements for scientific paper. Based on the scientific article the Admittance committee will make a decision concerning possible admittance of Student.
Scientific article has to contain 5 parts – Introduction, Theoretical part, Contribution of Author and conclusions, list of references.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated March 1, 2018