- Location: Católica Global School of Law
- All Locations: Lisbon, Portugal
- Duration: 1 year
- Earliest Start Date: Request Info
- Application Deadline: Request Info
- All Languages: English
- Study Type: Campus
- Pace: Full-time
- Tuition Fees: EUR 14 000
LL.M. Law In a Digital Context
Digital technologies are reshaping virtually every field of law. The emergence and rapid development of technologies like artificial intelligence, cloud computing, blockchain and the Internet of Things have been testing the boundaries of existing legal rules and sparking debate on whether they are fit for purpose. The aim of this program is to prepare students to understand and anticipate these challenges and to become skilled practitioners in a digital economy.
Why Law In a Digital Context
With that goal in mind, the program is designed to provide students with the necessary technical knowledge on the functioning of emerging technologies. We believe that our graduates will only be able to competently engage with the stakeholders of a digital economy – be they regulators, start-up entrepreneurs or major tech companies – if they grasp how the technological context shapes the legal issues they are faced with.
Technology lawyers need also to operate in the context of multiple jurisdictions and feel comfortable working with legal sources from different origins. In keeping with the approach of the other programs offered by Católica Global School of Law, the courses taught within the LL.M. ‘Law in a Digital Economy’ will have a global focus, instead of a strictly domestic or regional one.
Moreover, these are courses that will require students to come to class fully prepared and to actively participate. Pro-active learning is essential to develop students’ critical thinking and adaptability – two skills that are crucial for those who will practice in a field of law that is in relentless evolution.
- Attendance and ECTS: This LL.M. is a one-year full-time program, running from September to July.
- The academic calendar is structured into three terms.
- Students must complete a total of 60 ECTS to meet the LL.M. degree requirements.
- Semester Abroad: Students are encouraged to take advantage of the exchange agreements with top American and European Law Schools and attend an additional semester abroad.
- Master’s Thesis: Students approved in a Master of Laws Thesis will receive a Master Diploma, according to the Bologna Declaration.
- Brazilian students approved in a Master of Laws Thesis will receive a Master Diploma which may be recognized as a “Diploma de Mestrado” in Brazil.
- One has been established with the King´s College in London. After completing the broadband curricular phase of the LL.M. at CGSL, the student will have the opportunity to specialize in a particular branch of Global Law, by attending courses and taking advantage of the library resources at King's College, allowing him or her to produce a piece of cutting-edge global legal scholarship.
- Students have also the opportunity to continue their studies in the Master of Laws (LL.M.) program at Cornell University Law School. They will obtain a strong international academic experience, as well as two degrees from cutting-edge global institutions. This additional degree from an Ivy League University will also allow students (complying with certain requirements in the LL.M.) to sit for the New York Bar exam.
- Students have the opportunity to continue their studies in the MASTER OF LAWS (LL.M.) program at The University of Michigan Law School. They will obtain a strong international academic experience, as well as two degrees from cutting-edge global institutions. This additional degree will also allow students (complying with certain requirements in the LL.M.) to sit for the New York Bar exam. Accepted students will benefit from a 1/3 discount in the Michigan LL.M. important tuition.
- LL.M.´s students have now the opportunity to continue their studies at Boston University School of Law. They will obtain a strong international academic experience, as well as two degrees from two global institutions. This additional degree will also allow students (complying with certain requirements in the LL.M.) to sit for the New York Bar exam.
Scholarships and Tuition Fees
- Scholarships may be granted to a limited number of students on the basis of merit. To apply, please send a request letter describing your particular circumstances.
- Elsa Scholarship: Católica Global School of Law is providing a full scholarship for one ELSA member. The application is to be submitted to Católica Global School of Law directly.
In addition to the LL.M. application, you have to submit a Motivation Letter to ELSA International explaining why you are the right applicant for the scholarship.
- LL.M Law in a Digital Context: 14.000 EUR/year
- Master’s Thesis € 1.700
- Additional Semester Abroad € 2.250
About the School
Católica Global School of Law was established in 2009 at the Law School of the Catholic University of Portugal and has become the center of the Católica's growing focus on international legal educatio ... Read More