LL.M. Law in A European and Global Context
This is a programme like no other offered in Europe. It is not simply one more programme focusing on European and International Law, our aim is to teach Law in a European and Global Context and to do so with a top international faculty and employing new methodologies and pedagogical techniques.
WHY LAW IN A EUROPEAN AND GLOBAL CONTEXT
- Law is changing. Lawyers increasingly need to operate in the context of a plurality of jurisdictions and legal sources. As a consequence, a growing number of legal actors (in courts as outside courts and even in the legislative process) need to operate in multiple jurisdictions and be comfortable working with different legal sources.
- At the same time, economic and social integration increases the multinational character of the cases in which lawyers are called in to assist on a daily basis. This has also given rise to an emerging international market for legal services. All this requires a different type of lawyer from the traditional lawyer trained exclusively in a particular domestic legal system. It requires a truly international legal education, where courses are specifically tailored to meet the challenges of this pluralism of legal sources and jurisdictions. This is the purpose of this Master/LL.M. Degree on Law in a European and Global Context.
- The programme will adopt the approach to teaching that Joseph Weiler has coined as “Total Law™”. This represents a bold pedagogical and intellectual break with the traditional ways of teaching Law.
- The students enrolled in this course will face a huge effort with which most will be unfamiliar: it will demand a sustained level of very high commitment, preparation, and engagement. But the rewards will be rich: both in intellectual excitement and professional formation.
Attendance and ECTS
This LL.M. is a one-year full-time programme, running from September to July. The academic calendar is structured into three terms. Students must complete a total of 60 ECTS to meet the LL.M. degree requirements. This will include at least five core seminars.
Students are encouraged to take advantage of the exchange agreements with top American and European Law Schools and attend an additional semester abroad.
Students approved in a Master of Laws Thesis will receive a Master Diploma, according to the Bologna Declaration.
Brazilian students approved in a Master of Laws Thesis will receive a Master Diploma which may be recognized as a “Diploma de Mestrado” in Brazil.
Students are allowed to enroll in courses from the Advanced LL.M. in International Business Law, such as:
- Common Law Contracts
- Comparative Corporate Taxation
- Corporate Law and Securities Regulation
- Fundamentals of Accounting and Finance
- Intellectual Property and Competition Law
- International Energy Law
- International Environmental Law
- Law Business and Society in China
- Strategic Decision Making for Lawyers
- Trends in Evolution of the EU Institutional Framework
DOUBLE DEGREES Católica Global School of Law offers three double degrees.
One has been established with the King´s College in London. After completing the broadband curricular phase of the LL.M. at CGSL, the student will have the opportunity to specialize in a particular branch of Global Law, by attending courses and taking advantage of the library resources at King's College, allowing him or her to produce a piece of cutting-edge global legal scholarship.
Católica Global School of Law?s students have also the opportunity to continue their studies in the MASTER OF LAWS (LL.M.) programme at Cornell University Law School. They will obtain a strong international academic experience, as well as two degrees from cutting-edge global institutions. This additional degree from an Ivy League University will also allow students (complying with certain requirements in the LL.M.) to sit for the New York Bar exam.
Católica Global School of Law LL.M.?s students have the opportunity to continue their studies in the MASTER OF LAWS (LL.M.) programme at The University of Michigan Law School. They will obtain a strong international academic experience, as well as two degrees from cutting-edge global institutions. This additional degree will also allow students (complying with certain requirements in the LL.M.) to sit for the New York Bar exam. Accepted students will benefit from a 1/3 discount in the Michigan LL.M. important tuition.
Católica Global School of Law LL.M.´s students have now the opportunity to continue their studies at Boston University School of Law. They will obtain a strong international academic experience, as well as two degrees from two global institutions. This additional degree will also allow students (complying with certain requirements in the LL.M.) to sit for the New York Bar exam.
SCHOLARSHIPS & TUITION FEES
Scholarships may be granted to a limited number of students on the basis of merit. To apply, please send a request letter describing your particular circumstances.
Millennium BCP Scholarships
For applicants from Greece, Poland, and Romania, three scholarships worth € 13.333,33
Half tuition waiver – two grants for applicants from both Brazil and China
- LL.M Law in a European Context: € 14.000 (Instalment policy available)
- Master’s Thesis: € 1.650
- Additional Semester Abroad: € 2.175
All LL.M. candidates must hold a first degree in law.
Preference will be given to candidates with a strong academic record.
You may submit your application at any time.
LL.M. applications must be completed with all required documentation. Successful applicants will be sent a formal letter of admission.
Applicants should submit the following documents:
- Two Letters of recommendation (in English or in Portuguese)
- Official transcripts from schools attended (in English or in Portuguese);
- Curriculum Vitae (in English) with dates and lengths of employment (maximum two pages long)
- Official letter of dispatch for students sponsored by corporations or other organizations
- Official TOEFL / IELTS score report, or certificate.
- Copy of Identity Card or Passport
- 1 Photo
The required materials (certified copies of the original documents) must be posted to:
GEFAP | Universidade Católica Portuguesa
Palma de Cima | 1649-023 Lisboa | Portugal
This school offers programs in:
Last updated January 20, 2018