This program responds to the reality of an increasingly interconnected world that requires jurists to deal with various legal systems from both the civil law and common law traditions. Renowned professors from various countries join the faculty of the Faculty to share the foundations of their legal systems.
This program offers courses such as:
- Methodology and epistemology of comparative law.
- Civil law, influence and competition games.
- German private law.
- Private law of the Ibero-American States.
- Private law of the Asian states.
- Right of the Common Law.
- Private Arab-Muslim law.
- Comparative law of family and people.
- Access to justice and conflict resolution in comparative law.
- Indigenous law.
- Bachelor's degree in law from Université de Montréal or diploma deemed equivalent;
- Interview if it is deemed necessary;
- Sufficient knowledge of French.
The Faculty of Law may impose a test of knowledge of French to the candidate whose mother tongue is not French or whose previous studies were not in French.
Carla Couthon (France) LL.M. 2018
Before specializing in social law and then entering the French professional world, I had the desire to be interested in other legal systems. Quebec and its bijuralism seemed to me to be interesting in this respect. This LL. M. on Comparative law allows me to develop a critical point of view, to put in perspective the law that I had already studied (French law). I think it is essential today to develop an international legal culture to enrich ourselves personally, but also to draw inspiration from other systems when practicing.
Tuition per full-time term
Tuition fees in Québec educational institutions are regulated according to the student's legal status in Canada:
- Quebec residents: approximately 1,227.75CAD + related expenses
- French and French-speaking Belgians: approximately 1,227.75CAD + related expenses
- International students: Full time: approximately 8,407.73CAD
- Tuition fees for non-resident Canadians: $ 3,815.85 + related fees
(price for session, the student must be enrolled 3 sessions per year)
Tuition reduction scholarships available to International Students