LLM (Financial Regulation and Compliance)
The BPP University LLM (Financial Regulation and Compliance) focuses on the law and practice relating to the regulation of investment business in the United Kingdom from the perspective of compliance. The core module on financial regulation and compliance addresses the regulatory and legal environment within which persons authorised to conduct investment business operate. It also focuses on the particular role of compliance in the control and management of primary legal and regulatory risks. It is therefore far more than a programme on compliance. It is taught by practitioners and addresses the practical and problematic issues – including, for example, the personal exposure of compliance officers to legal and regulatory risk and the relevant law and practice to the exposure of financial intermediaries and their advisors to the legal risks, both criminal and civil, in handling other people’s wealth.
This programme is aimed at those either already working in compliance, as a lawyer or compliance officer, those engaged in regulatory and supervisory activities and practicing lawyers – and, of course, those who aspire to becoming such. BPP Law School has been designated by the Chartered Institute for Securities & Investment (CISI) as a centre of excellence in the law of financial regulation and compliance. This means that when you graduate with this LLM you will be eligible for full student CISI membership and will qualify for the award of the CISI Diploma in Investment Compliance* in addition to the LLM.
Your knowledge and skills in financial regulation may, should you wish, be significantly extended by selecting particularly relevant elective modules, including Fraud and Financial Crime, UK Corporate Securities Law, International and Comparative Corporate Securities Regulation, Islamic Finance Law and UK and International Banking Law.
*Subject to passing a CISI administered exam. The LLM (Financial Regulation and Compliance) is awarded by BPP University.
• Interact with a mix of academics, members of the judiciary and practitioners from various legal systems
• Meet eminent academics, officials, judges and practitioners through our guest speaker programme
• Develop a deep understanding of how the law works in practice
• Enhance your expertise by choosing from at least 14 specialist electives
• Access our specialist legal careers service even before you start your programme
• Opportunities to participate in an international symposium
• Opportunity to get involved in our award-winning Pro Bono Centre offering legal advice
• Study at a ‘Centre of Excellence’ in the field of investment and management, awarded by the Chartered Institute for Securities and Investment (CISI) and gain eligibility for full CISI membership.
To apply for the BPP University LLM (Financial Regulation and Compliance) you must meet the following minimum admissions requirements:
• Law degree (minimum lower second class honours)or;
• Degree in law and another subject (minimum lower second class honours)or;
• Non-law degree (minimum lower second class honours) and a pass in the GDL or CPEor;
• Non-law degree (minimum lower second class honours) and appropriate/relevant professional experience
• Non-graduates with appropriate professional experience will also be considered.
If your first language is not English you should also have a minimum of IELTS 6.5 or equivalent.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated November 10, 2017