STL’s LL.M. Program
LL.M. students will gain deep knowledge and understanding of Chinese and Western law and legal traditions as well as the practical skills necessary for cross-cultural success. LL.M. graduates from PKU STL will go on to distinguished careers in the private sector, public sector, public interest legal work, and legal academia around the world.
Peking University is the oldest university in China and one of the most prestigious universities on Earth. QS World University Rankings 2019 ranked PKU as the number 1 University in China for studying law, and the 30th most academically renowned university in the World. The Times of Higher Education 2019 has ranked PKU 3rd in all of Asia, and 31st in the world.
Students, Faculty, and Careers
Leading students from around the world compete for admission to STL. The law school’s multinational faculty includes world-renowned scholars and practitioners from China, the U.S., the E.U., and elsewhere. STL graduates are highly sought after for positions with leading multinational law firms and corporations, leading Chinese law firms and corporations, major SOEs, and leading international NGOs.
STL’s curricula emphasize lawyering skills and knowledge for the 21st century: (i) transnational law and practice, (ii) cross-cultural competence, and (iii) the professional responsibilities of lawyers in these contexts. No law school anywhere better equips graduates for the private sector, public sector, or public interest legal work related to China, the United States, the United Kingdom, or British Commonwealth nations.
STL graduates will be uniquely equipped for leadership in today’s interconnected world, with deep knowledge and understanding of Chinese and Western law and legal traditions and with the practical skills necessary for cross-cultural and transborder success.
Shenzhen–A Dynamic City
STL is located in the Southern city of Shenzhen. A fast-growing metropolis of 12 million people, Shenzhen has been on a steady rise since it was established as China’s first Special Economic Zone in 1979. Now, Shenzhen is not only a major hub of China’s most populous province, Guangdong but also a market leader within all of China and a unique area where the world’s great legal systems merge and influence transborder conduct. The city is a lodestar for biotechnology, logistics, and new energy industries, and top companies such as Huawei and Tencent are based here. On the world stage, Shenzhen has made its mark as well; in 2008, it was named UNESCO City of Design, and in 2011, it hosted the 26th Summer Universiade.
Geographically and economically, Shenzhen is also closely integrated with Hong Kong, with which it shares a border. Extensive public transportation options link the two cities–from downtown, one may visit Hong Kong via bus, metro, and ferry. With a combined GDP of more than $650 billion, the Shenzhen-Hong Kong region is one of the largest metropolitan areas in the world.
Like the LL.M. programs offered by the best U.S. law schools, PKU STL’s LL.M. program for foreign students will consist of one year to two years of full-time study. The curriculum will be designed to emphasize skills and knowledge for the 21st Century: (i) transnational law and practice; (ii) cross-cultural competence; and (3) the professional responsibilities of lawyers in these contexts. Specialized offerings in Chinese legal history and law will enable students to acquire a deep understanding of the cultural traditions and modern developments of China today.
LL.M. graduates will emerge from the program as lawyers uniquely equipped for leadership in today’s interconnected world, with deep knowledge and understanding of Chinese and Western law and legal traditions and with the practical skills necessary for cross-cultural success. The curriculum is the most diverse and extensive English- language coursework in China with more than 60 English-language courses covering a wide range of subjects, from international and comparative law to American law to Chinese law; courses cover complex transnational business transactions and dispute resolution, and as well as China law, legal system and legal history. LL.M. graduates from PKU STL will go on to distinguished careers in the private sector, public sector, public interest legal work, and legal academia around the world.
To earn the LL.M. degree, candidates must:
- have been in residence for at least three full academic quarters;
- earn a minimum of 36 credits (approximately 12 courses);
- complete a thesis or substantial research paper under faculty supervision on a topic of their choice, pass the thesis defense and;
How to Apply
Applicants ordinarily should have a first degree in law (e.g., J.D., J.M., or LL.B.) or otherwise be licensed to practice law in their home jurisdiction. We also accept applications from students currently enrolled in the first-degree program in law who wish to earn credits toward STL’s LL.M. degree simultaneously. For example, U.S. law students are eligible to transfer a certain number of credits earned abroad toward their J.D. degrees; credits earned in STL’s LL.M. program accordingly might be eligible to apply simultaneously toward both the U.S. J.D. and STL’s LL.M.
Applicants whose first language is not English or who did not have a postsecondary education entirely conducted in the English language must provide evidence of English proficiency. The Program requires a minimum score of 92 in TOEFL IBT or 6.5 in IELTS with 7.0 in IELTS writing.
- Please fill out the on-line application form and upload other required application materials on the Peking University Application Portal at studyatpku.com/member/login.do by referring to the Instruction for Online Application, which provides step-by-step application instructions with screen shots to help avoid any confusion. Please also note the formats and file sizes requested before uploading the application materials.
- Please send an email to STL to firstname.lastname@example.org and to email@example.com indicating that you have filed your application online.
- Please send by a trackable delivery method that gives you confirmation of receipt, hard copies of the original documentation including any sealed letters.
Applicants must submit the materials listed below. Applications will only be reviewed after all materials are received. All documents should be written in English. If the documents are not in English, they must be accompanied by a notarized English translation.
- Peking University School of Transnational Law Application Form.
- Personal statement: Submit a personal statement explaining the reasons you are pursuing an LL.M. degree and how the degree will help you advance your plans and goals. (700 to 1000 words)
- Academic Records: Official transcripts from all undergraduate and graduate institutions, and official degree certificates (original or notarized documents with English translations if documents are not in English).
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae.
- Letters of Recommendation: At least two signed letters of recommendation from professors, employers, or others familiar with your academic and professional qualifications. (original)
- Proof of English Competency: One photocopy of results of TOEFL or IELTS examination (unless you are a native English speaker or you have a degree from a postsecondary institution entirely conducted in the English language).
- Copy of passport, or identification card.
Please note: all the Application Materials must be received before the March 31, deadline.
Applications received prior to March 1, do not require a fee. All other applications require a fee of 800 RMB that may be waived at the discretion of the law school for financial need.
Applicants should send the application package to:
Admissions for Master of Laws, Room B103, Peking University School of Transnational Law, University Town, Nanshan District Shenzhen 518055, China
Deadline for Application
Please note: all the Application Materials must be received before the March 31, deadline.
The Admissions Committee will make decisions according to the applicants’ materials after approved by Peking University. The official admission letter will be sent out by June.
Accommodations and Services
Most international students choose to live on our beautiful campus and to enjoy the community, dining, and sports opportunities as well as the close proximity to the law school building. Single and double rooms are available on campus. Students may also choose to live off campus.
Tuition and Costs
The tuition fee for the STL LL.M. program is 176,000 CNY staying for one or two years. Accommodation cost is 12,000 CNY for a single room with private bath for one year. TL is committed to making the program accessible to qualified candidates and there are a limited number of international fellowships available. Applicants are also encouraged to consider scholarships for which they are qualified.
STL is committed to making the program accessible to qualified candidates and there are a limited number of international fellowships and partial tuition scholarships and other financial awards available to successful applicants. Applicants are also encouraged to consider scholarships for which they are qualified.
Scholarships from the Chinese Government
Scholarships from the Chinese government are also available to international students.