Which laws govern the commercial use of outer space? Are States responsible for mitigating space debris? Who is liable for accidents that happen onboard the aircraft? Learn how to deal with questions like these from both an international and a European perspective.
What does this master's programme entail?
The Leiden Air and Space Law programme is unique. Our teaching and research has a clearly defined European dimension and is in line with the highest academic standards. At the same time, the programme focuses on professional applications, particularly through its internship requirements.
The International Institute of Air and Space Law (IIASL), which houses this advanced master's specialisation, is one of the leading international academic research and teaching institutes in this field. The Institute maintains close relations with national and international organisations and institutions worldwide and enjoys the guidance of a prestigious International Advisory Board.
You will learn how to address a wide variety of issues that affect society, such as:
- passenger safety
- the accident investigation
- environmental protection
- the use of drones
- fair competition
- sustainability of space activities
- militarisation of outer space
Reasons to choose Air and Space Law at Leiden University?
As a student of Advanced Studies in Air and Space Law, you will benefit from:
- International environment: In addition to the international focus of the curriculum, the unique blend of students and instructors that represent all continents makes our programme a truly global experience.
- Expert instructors: You will be taught by expert faculty from the International Institute of Air and Space Law, visiting international professors and distinguished legal practitioners specialized in specific aspects of air and space law.
- Excellent reputation: Leiden Law School has developed its reputation for excellence by combining a high level of academic teaching with acclaimed and innovative research. Its tradition of quality attracts prestigious professors and professionals from around the world who teach you in a challenging and supportive atmosphere.
Is Air and Space Law the right programme for you?
This programme is specifically designed for:
- law gradudates wishing to pursue a challenging advanced master's study at postgraduate level, possibly followed by a PhD position;
- legal practitioners in internationally operating law firms, private companies (e.g. airlines, aircraft parts manufacturers), civil aviation authorities, telecommunications authorities, international and regional organisations and representatives from governments wishing to specialise in the area of air and space law.
About the School
Are you curious, critical and involved in the world around you? At Leiden University, the oldest university in the Netherlands, you can make a valuable contribution to tackling the various national an ... Read More