Why choose this LLM?
The Derby LLM offers maximum flexibility. Available to lawyers and non-lawyers alike, it provides unrivalled choice and opportunity - enabling you to choose from specialist pathways and modules to build a degree that matches your career aspirations, research pursuits and personal interests.
- Improve your career prospects in one of the UK's top law schools for student satisfaction and success at postgraduate level
- Select the focus of your study and align it to the LLM programme pathway of your choice, studying at a time and pace to suit you and your circumstances
- Choose new and innovative modules ranging from Transnational Organised Crime to International Commercial Arbitration and the Investigation of Human Rights Violations
- Benefit from our modern approach to teaching law in a global context: you can tailor your coursework and assignments to different jurisdictions, so gaining a truly international flavour of law
- Combine your academic and theoretical knowledge with hands-on skills honed in our superb courtroom facilities
- Learn from our team of expert practitioners whose teaching is delivered with passion and professionalism
- Spend time developing your skills in a legal practice or other professional organisation: ours is one of the few LLM programmes to offer this opportunity.
About this course
We have worked with the legal professions, judiciary, prosecution service and police to design the Derby LLM to be fit for the 21st century.
A degree that’s right for you
Our LLM provides unique opportunities to investigate areas that other courses simply do not offer. While it focuses on core aspects of knowledge in law, you can choose from numerous options - for broad based or highly specialised study - to design a degree that reflects your interests and career ambitions.
The course combines academic and theoretical knowledge. You will develop your understanding of the interaction between law and policy at an international level, enabling you to contribute to organisations and commercial enterprises operating within the global policy arena.
After the Postgraduate Certificate stage of the course, you can choose to follow a specific pathway towards one of these specialist LLM awards:
- LLM (Commercial Law)
- LLM (Corporate and Financial Law)
- LLM (International Protection of Human Rights)
- LLM (Intellectual Property and Information Technology Law)
- LLM (Transnational Criminal Law)
For those who have taken or are working towards the LPC, we also offer a route to ‘top up’ the qualification to an LLM in Legal Practice. If you are already employed and looking at professional career development, you can follow this route to enhance your CPD points.
Dedicated to your success
We are committed to providing a rich, rewarding learning experience. You'll be taught by our professional, experienced and knowledgeable teaching team, with real passion for their subjects.
We deliver dedicated academic and pastoral support to every student, which has resulted in our consistently high rankings in the National Student Survey. We also offer a range of extra-curricular activities, networking opportunities and a vibrant Student Law Society.
- An honours degree in any subject at least 2.2 classification
- We will also consider applicants with relevant work experience who may be accepted following interview.
Careers and employability
An edge in your career
As a Derby LLM graduate, you will be highly sought after by employers because you can demonstrate a unique specialisation in the areas of law and criminal justice, evidenced by your final dissertation. It gives you a genuine advantage when applying for positions within and beyond the legal sector.
If you are already in employment, the particular benefit of our LLM is that you can combine modules to create a programme of study which reflects your specific vocation and future employment and career aspirations. In a turbulent world where professional roles and career pathways are constantly evolving, the Derby LLM offers you the flexibility and skill set to adapt to meet employers’ requirements and your own professional development needs.
Opportunities for further study
An LLM is considered to be essential for the pursuit of an academic career. With the focus on research skills at its heart - and a high level of flexibility providing many diverse opportunities to specialise - the Derby LLM programme is an ideal springboard to MPhil or PhD studies.
From the start, you are encouraged to develop your research, communication and independent learning techniques and we offer guidance if you wish to present your work at conferences or to have it published.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated September 7, 2017