This specialist LLM in International Commercial Law builds on your undergraduate study by deepening your understanding of the international business law, as well furthering your commercial awareness in this area. The course is designed for those intending to practice law in the field of international commercial law.
We have over 30 years of experience training lawyers. And it shows: we ’re the No.1 University in London for student experience and teaching quality (Sunday Times League Table 2017) and 13th for law overall in the whole country (Guardian University Guide 2018).
The course covers key principles of international business law and the international sale of goods. Alongside this, it explores the reputational and litigation risks associated with corporate social responsibility and human rights. Optional modules include 'Mediation and negotiation' and 'International commercial arbitration'.
Students interested in Chinese business law can opt to take a module in Chinese business law which includes a study visit to China organized in co-operation with the Confucius Institute. You may also choose an aspect of this topic for your dissertation. You'll also be encouraged and supported to obtain placements with London law firms and partner legal organizations.
Key course information - ordered by mode
|Full-time||1 year||September||Southwark Campus|
|Part-time||2 years||September||Southwark Campus|
- Research methods
- Principles of international commercial law
- The international sale of goods
- International business, human rights, and CSR
Plus two optional modules from:
- International and comparative company law
- International commercial arbitration
- Mediation and negotiation
- Chinese business law
All modules are assessed by coursework, except for 'International business, human rights and CSR' which is assessed by an oral presentation.
This course is focused on the professional practice of international commercial law and seeks to develop professional skills and experience as well as academic knowledge. Key skills include dispute resolution and you'll be encouraged and supported to seek relevant legal placements alongside your studies.
The course requires an undergraduate degree in law, so your existing knowledge of basic principles, concepts, and theories, combined with this specialism will give your career in the area a head start.
An LLM is also beneficial if you want to go into teaching law.
We are the University of the Year for Graduate Employment - The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2018.
At LSBU, we want to set you up for a successful career. During your studies – and for two years after you graduate – you’ll have access to our Employability Service, which includes:
- An online board where you can see a wide range of placements: part-time, full-time or voluntary. You can also drop in to see our Job Shop advisers, who are always available to help you take the next step in your search.
- Our Careers Gym offering group workshops on CVs, interview techniques and finding work experience, as well as regular presentations from employers across a range of sectors.
Our Student Enterprise team can also help you start your own business and develop valuable entrepreneurial skills.
You can choose to study Mandarin Level 1 and take part in a study visit to China for an introduction to the Chinese legal system and business law as preparation for your dissertation. You'll also be encouraged and supported to seek a law firm placement in London.
- LLB (Hons) Law degree 2:2 or higher; or
- The UK graduates with a non-Law degree (2:2 or higher) and relevant knowledge and experience: or
- Individual applications for accreditation of prior learning and experience will be considered in accordance with the School's policy.
- We welcome equivalent qualifications from around the world. English language qualifications for international students: IELTS score of 6.5, Cambridge Proficiency or Advanced Grade C.
All modules are subject to change by the university and may differ from the modules you are offered during your studies.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated June 4, 2018