The prerequisite for candidates for a degree in law consists in the performance of a written test, with an eliminatory character, which aims to evaluate only the candidate's ability to express himself in Portuguese language, not requiring or evaluating any knowledge, or other branches of knowledge.
It is now widely recognized that an adequate level of preparation in the fields of English and computer science is indispensable for the training of the modern jurist. In order to provide the conditions that best favor their professional success, the Faculty of Law - Catholic of Porto requires, therefore, that its students possess a minimum degree of preparation in the domains of computer science and the English language.
At the beginning of the academic year, students who enter for the first time in the 1st semester will hold a written test of knowledge in the areas of computer science and English language. Students who present proof of at least the First Certificate of the University of Cambridge are exempt from this test . For students who have not been exempted from the written test and have not been qualified as such, the Portuguese Catholic University offers the possibility of attending courses in computer science and English language, at times and conditions to be disseminated throughout the year school
No student completes their undergraduate degree without getting approved to these requirements.
Areas of Specialization of the 4th Year
It is possible for students to attend, in the last year of the course and according to their preferences, curricular units in 3 major "areas" of Law: Private Law, Criminal Law and Public Law. The frequency will be totally flexible, in the sense that students will be able to choose the subjects of their choice, regardless of the area in which they are located.
Example of the offer in the area of Private Law:
- Civil Contracts;
- Introduction to Insolvency Law;
- Labor Process;
- Intellectual Property Law (General Part).
- Labor Law - Collective Relations
Example of the offer in the area of Public Law:
- Right of Public Contracts;
- Introduction to the Financial and Fiscal System;
- Introduction to the Tax Process.
- US Maritime Law and Policy
Example of offer in the area of Criminal Law:
- Legal Consequences of Crime;
- Appeals and Enforcement of Judgments in Criminal Procedure;
- Of the Feathers - its execution;
- Proof of Criminal Procedure;
- Legal Medicine.
Link to Legal Practice
The connection to the professional activity subsequent to the end of the degree is made, through the offer of disciplines that exercise forensic skills:
- Practicum of Civil Procedure;
- Practicum of Criminal Procedure;
- Simulation of a Judgment before an International Court.
Also through seminars taught by professionals (lawyers, company lawyers), where knowledge resulting from the practical application, in specific domains, of legal knowledge is transmitted , namely in seminars such as:
- Consumer Law;
- Means of Protection in Administrative Litigation;
- Electronic Communications Law;
- Of the Feathers;
- Counterfeiting and Fines;
- Highway offenses.
The Faculty makes it possible to carry out curricular internships (optional), which can take place at any time of the year, must have a minimum duration of 70 hours and imply the accreditation of 2.5 to 5 ECTS. The internship can be earned by the Faculty or by the student himself.
Applicants must meet the following requirements cumulatively:
- Have performed, at the Catholic University of Portugal, the prerequisite for vocational aptitude with apt result
- Hold a secondary or legally equivalent qualification
- Have completed at least one of the following entry tests in 2019, 2018 or 2017:
Entrance exam 2019: 16 - Mathematics; 11 - History; 18 - English
Exams taken in the years 2019, 2018 or 2017, which serve as entrance exam for access to higher education in 2019: 635 - Mathematics A or 735 - Mathematics B; 623 - History A or 723 - History B; 639 - English
About the School
Criado em 1978, o curso de licenciatura em Direito foi o primeiro a ser oferecido no Porto. Gradualmente, conquistou prestígio nacional e internacional, não apenas pelos seus professores e alunos, mas ... Read More