The rise of Asian economies has fuelled demand for legal services in the region, especially in terms of structuring cross-border deals as well as dealing with transnational disputes. The aim of this LLM programme is to expose students to a broad range of legal issues in Asia are likely to encounter so that they will be better prepared to advise on cross-border matters in the region.
Areas of study
LLM courses are taught by a team of distinguished faculty members in SMU’s characteristic seminar-style and conducted exclusively for LLM students in small-size classes. A holistic approach to assessment is adopted – this includes class participation, research papers, group presentations and the final examination (which typically accounts for no more than 50% of the overall grade). Students can expect to immerse themselves in rigorous legal research and intellectual discourse, whilst, at the same time, forge close personal relationships with their peers and instructors.
List of Prescribed Courses
- Law of Mergers and Acquisitions
- International Business Law: An Asian Perspective
- Trusts and Wealth Management in Singapore and Hong Kong
- Financial Regulation in Singapore, Hong Kong and Greater China
- Foreign Investment Law in Asia
- Beyond the Law: Regulatory Mechanisms in Cross-border Issues in the Asian Context
List of Electives* Choose 2 from:
- Chinese Contract Law
- Business Defamation: Asian and Comparative Perspectives
- Islamic Law and Finance in Asia
- Intellectual Property Law and Policy: International and Asian Perspectives
- Commercial Conflict of Laws
- Asian and Global Trends in Information Technology Law
- Law and the Changing Media Environment: Lessons from Asia and Beyond
- Not all electives will be offered in any particular academic year. The list of electives may also change from time to time.
Good Bachelor's degree in Law (or equivalent legal qualification) English proficiency test (IELTS/TOEFL), if your degree was not taught and examined in English
Application Fee (non-refundable):S$50
Registration Fee (non-refundable): S$400 (Singaporeans / Singapore Permanent Residents) S$500 (Foreigners)
Covers the matriculation and examination fees, orientation activities, library and computer account.
Tuition Fee: S$37,450 (inclusive of GST)
Deposit before matriculation: S$5,000 1st installment is payable in Aug: S$16,225 2nd installment is payable in Dec: S$16,225
This school offers programs in:
Last updated September 7, 2017