Improve your career prospects by gaining a Master in Medical Law and Ethics while remaining in full-time employment
This unique programme in Medical Law and Ethics will enable you to:
- Analyse, interpret and apply the laws regulating the provision of healthcare and with particular regard to ethical perspectives.
- Gain a competitive advantage in difficult market conditions - increase your skills at this crucial time.
- Achieve a recognised UK university qualification while combining full-time employment with study.
- Learn from key industry practitioners and academics and benefit directly from their insight and invaluable commentary.
- Apply your learning and new skills to your work immediately and help further your career.
- Tailor the programme to your needs by studying your own unique combination of modules from this and other De Montfort LLM programmes.
- Study at a faster pace – follow the ‘accelerated route’ and complete the LLM in 15 months.
The course commences with an induction weekend in Leicester which takes place on 11th-12th September 2020, and the Core Module, (worth 30 credits) is then studied from September 2020 through to the end of December 2020 and is assessed by written coursework.
From January to December 2021, students choose two 30 credit modules or one 30 and two 15 credit modules (giving a total of 90 credits for the first year of study).
In the second year, January to December 2022, students take either one 30 credit module or two 15 credit modules and write a 15,000 word dissertation on a topic of their choice on a legal issue within the context of medical law.
Students will all study the Core Module and will then specialise by choosing from the optional modules listed below.
- Introduction to Medical Law and Ethics
- Consent and the Situation of Incapacitated Patients
- Philosophy of Health Care
- Medical Negligence
- Medical Research
- Patient Safety, Quality and Professional Regulation in Healthcare Law
- Dental Law, Practice and Ethics
- Coroners Law
- Negotiated Study
- Issues Relating to the Creation and Saving of Life
- Mental Health
- Issues Relating to the Termination of Life
- Expert Evidence
And you can tailor the course to fit your specific job role and industry by selecting modules from other LLM programmes as well.
Flexible Study Options
The Medical Law and Ethics course form part of a wider LLM programme at Leicester De Montfort Law School and for added flexibility, in addition to the Medical Law and Ethics modules available, students may choose to study modules from the other LLM pathways:
- Business Law/International Business Law
- Employment Law and Practice
- Environmental Law and Practice
- Food Law
- Sports Law and Practice
- International Human Rights Law
Available modules from other courses include:
International Child Law; European Convention on Human Rights; Social Justice; International Humanitarian Law; Gender, Sexuality and Human Rights; The Protection of Refugees in International Law; Collective Labour Law; Alternative Dispute Resolution; People Management within Organisations; Equal Opportunities in the Workplace; Public Procurement Law and Practice; Expert Evidence; International Law; Aspects of Discrimination in Business; Civil Liberties in the Workplace; Individual Labour Law.
To gain an award in Medical Law and Ethics, the Core Module plus one full 30 credit module from the Medical Law and Ethics modules must be studied, and the dissertation must also fall within the scope of Medical Law and Ethics. Thereafter there is freedom of choice across all pathways.
About the School
We are born out of Informa’s rich history in enhancing individuals and businesses with knowledge. Our learning solutions equip professionals with the capabilities and network they need to progress and ... Read More