Singapore, one of the world’s most cosmopolitan cities, has emerged as Asia’s legal and financial hub. As an integral part of the central business district where leading law firms and banks are located, Singapore Management University (SMU) is at the forefront of legal education.
The SMU LLM programme is carefully designed to expand your legal knowledge in classic and novel areas of the law, while simultaneously equipping you with the skills-sets essential to render on-point advice on cross-border transactions or deliver high-quality adjudication and judicial administration results.
Our professors who have gained insight from diverse work experiences will engage you with their interdisciplinary knowledge. Small class sizes allow for highly interactive seminars that also provide a challenging yet collegial learning environment. The School of Law’s active engagement with the legal community, as well as our strong alumni network and the Career Services team, immensely benefit students’ future careers.
The SMU LLM will offer you an unparalleled opportunity for advanced legal education in Singapore and Asia.
SCIENTIFIC. ARTFUL. JUDICIOUS. TIMELY.
Advance your adjudication and administration abilities
- 6 core modules, including on judicial decision-making, judicial stress management, and judicial philosophy
- 2 interdisciplinary electives
- 1-Year (Full-Time)
- 2-Year (Extended Duration)
Immerse yourself in the workings of the Singapore judiciary
- Internship opportunities to shadow sitting senior judges
- Attend fireside chats organized by the Singapore Judicial College
- Experienced judges (co)teach core courses and share first-hand accounts of their time in the courts
- Network with fellow judicial officers from around the region
Embark on a unique academic experience in Singapore
- Seminar-style pedagogy with an interactive class discussion
- Practice-oriented content and ample use of court-centric case studies
- Specialised extra-legal courses on management strategies, accounting fundamentals, and insights from social science
Applicants are admitted on a rolling basis. Once the class size is filled, applications for the cohort will close. All other applicants will then be considered for the following year's cohort. Shortlisted applicants will be required to undergo an interview and sit for a short written test.
An application is only considered complete when:
- Online application is submitted before 1 May 2018
- All supporting documents received before 7 May 2018, 1700H
- Application fee is paid before 7 May 2018, 1700H
Failure to complete the above will render the application invalid.
Applicants will need to mail the following supporting documents to the School of Law's LLM Programme Office for their application to be considered valid:
- Identification document(s)
- Singapore Citizen: A copy of NRIC
- Singapore Permanent Resident: A copy of NRIC, passport and re-entry permit
- Foreigner: A copy of your passport personal particulars page
- Two Recommendation Forms (PDF or WORD)
- The use of the recommendation form template given is preferred, but not compulsory.
- Recommendation forms should not be more than 6 months old from the date of application.
- All recommendation forms/referrals are confidential. Applicants should not have seen the content written.
- Referees can email the signed copy of the recommendation form/referrals directly to email@example.com without copying the applicant.
- The subject header should indicate 'Referral for ".
- A copy of your Bachelor Degree Certificate
- A concise resume that provides chronological information about your educational background, work experiences and accomplishments.
- A copy of your official transcripts certified by the issuing institution.
- All applicants are required to submit a detailed personal statement, which can be up to four double-spaced pages. The statement should address the following questions: 1) your reasons and goals for applying to the SMU LLM programme; and 2) your qualifications, experiences, leadership potential or problem-solving skills.
- English proficiency test results (TOEFL or IELTS) for all international applicants except those from English-medium institutions in Australia, Canada, Hong Kong, Ireland, New Zealand, Philippines, the United Kingdom and the United States
- Payment for the application fee must be done via credit card online.
Program taught in: