Paralegal Studies (Graduate Certificate)
This certificate is offered for those students who have a bachelor’s degree and who wish to receive the graduate paralegal certificate. This program is approved by the American Bar Association (ABA). When a student receives a Paralegal Studies certificate from an ABA-approved program, the student may not provide legal services directly to the public, except as permitted by law.
Minimum Grade and Course Completion Requirements: Students in this certificate program must meet the University’s academic standards for graduate students and achieve a minimum grade of B- for each course required in the degree. No course may be repeated more than once.
Students enrolling in this certificate program who have no prior paralegal or criminal justice experience must complete LA 500 Introduction to the Legal System or LA 561 Law and the Business Environment in addition to the following:
- LA 501 Civil and Criminal Procedure
- LA 505 General Legal Procedures
- LA 509 Public Law and Administrative Procedures
- LA 562 Law, Computers, and the Internet
- LA 590 Supervising Legal Research and Writing
- LA 591 Advanced Legal Research and Writing/Computerized Legal Research
- 24 hours of approved pro bono legal service to the community
Program taught in: