LLM Advanced Studies in International Dispute Settlement and Arbitration Leiden University
Leiden University's Master of Laws in Advanced Studies in International Dispute Settlement and Arbitration (L.L.M.) is a high-level postgraduate program on the theory and practice of international dispute settlement and arbitration in international law.
What does this master's program entail?
How do States settle their international disputes? How is litigation and arbitration at the international law level conducted? Can investment disputes between a State and a foreign investor or between two States be arbitrated? What is the role of the International Court of Justice and other international courts and tribunals in international society?
This master allows you to specialise in international dispute settlement and arbitration with a strong emphasis on international law, while at the same time connecting to other related fields of law, such as arbitration in the international commercial law context. It also includes extra-curricular activities such as a moot courts, programme trips and visits, workshops and group exercises.
Reasons to choose International Dispute Settlement and Arbitration?
As a student of Advanced Studies in International Dispute Settlement and Arbitration, you will benefit from:
- Excellent reputation: Leiden Law School enjoys a strong international reputation for its high-quality education and research.
- Unique focus: Graduates will gain in-depth knowledge of law dispute settlement and arbitration in public international, but dispute settlement in other fields will also be noticed, equipping them with skills that will prepare them for their future profession.
- Expert instructors: You will be taught by expert staff and guest lecturers who are internationally renowned in the field of dispute settlement and arbitration. Many of our teaching staff are not only academics but also arbitrators, attorneys-at-law or prominent members of international organizations such as the Permanent Court of Arbitration (PCA).
Is International Dispute Settlement and Arbitration the right program for you?
This program is a good fit for you if you have a sincere interest in the field and:
- you are a qualified lawyer who would like to further specialize in the field or enhance your career prospects, or
- you are an excellent student who has a full degree in Law offering access to legal practice, or
- you have relevant professional experience in the field.
The programme caters to those who are working in or would like to pursue a career in legal practice, international organizations, governmental institutions, international non-governmental organizations or in academia. You can follow the program full-time for one year or part-time for two years.
The Advanced Studies in International Dispute Settlement and Arbitration prepares you for a successful career as legal professional in an international environment and furthermore offers an excellent basis for conducting further independent academic research.
This programme is designed to provide you with the analytical, research and presentation skills necessary to pursue a career in the field of international dispute settlement.
As a graduate, you will be qualified for positions such as:
- Law firms
- In-house counsel
- International courts and tribunals
- Arbitration institutions
- International organisations
- State and governmental agencies
- Non-governmental organisations
- Academic and research institutes