LLM Advanced Studies in Law & Finance Leiden University
How and why are international financial markets regulated? What does it take to direct capital flows toward sustainable development goals? Should financial regulation be adapted to crypto currencies and increasing digitalization ? How do banks structure and document international financial transactions? In the Law & Finance programme, you will be specially trained to work at the intersection of law and finance in this digitalized global world.
What does this master's programme entail?
Think about the access to finance and opportunities to invest for organisations and individuals.
You will then realise how, in today's interconnected world, national and international financial markets have far-reaching effects on virtually all of us around the globe. That is why trading venues and financial institutions such as banks, asset managers and market intermediaries are increasingly regulated. This leads to a growing need for: legal specialists with knowledge of the economic aspects that drive financial transactions; and financial experts who wish to increase their understanding of financial regulations. In the Law & Finance programme, you will be specially trained to work at the intersection of law and finance in this global world.
Reasons to choose Law and Finance at Leiden University?
As a student of the advanced master’s in Law and Finance, you will benefit from:
- Expert instructors: You will be taught by expert staff and guest lecturers who are internationally renowned in the field of law and finance. Many of our staff are prominent members of or contributors to organizations such as the World Bank, the International Swaps and Derivatives Association (ISDA), P.R.I.M.E. Finance, and various courts and regulatory bodies.
- Professional skills: In addition to the theory you learn in the coursework, you will be trained in professional skills, including writing legal briefs, negotiating a financial transaction and oral arguments.
- Site visits: You will be able to see the interaction between law and finance up close while participating in site visits to financial institutions and supervisory authorities.
Is Law and Finance the right programme for you?
Are you fascinated by the complex, international and multidisciplinary questions facing the financial sector? Would you be interested in learning how to deal with these questions from the legal, economic and ethical disciplines? Then this could be the programme for you.
To be a good fit for this programme, one of the following should apply:
- you are a legal professional
- you have a full law degree (offering access to legal practice) or
- you have a degree at an equivalent level in another discipline, with a sufficient background in or understanding of law
You can follow this programme for one year on a full-time basis or two years on a part-time basis.
One of the biggest assets you will have in your career is your professional network. Through your interactions with professionals in the classroom, as well as during any extra-currucular activities of FINSTAS and the study trip, you willl begin to build your own international network. These contacts could greatly enhance your career prospects, as they often help with job leads and recommendations.
The Law and Finance Advanced Studies programme is optimally designed to suit requirements for both national and international professional positions.
When you graduate, you will be qualified to work in a wide range of organisations such as:
- financial institutions, such as banks asset managers and market intermediaries
- European and national financial supervisory authorities
- other governmental and inter-governmental bodies and public administration
- law firms
- judiciary and arbitration courts
- academic and research institutes