Our story began in 2002 when our search for an ideal film course led us to create our own, boutique film school in a converted church in Fulham Broadway, London.
Many years on, London Film Academy is internationally recognised as an innovative film school that punches above its weight, producing multi-skilled, world-class filmmakers through training that is hands-on, industry-relevant, and of the highest standard.
Our multi-disciplinary approach emulates the hard-working realities of the film and TV industries and allows you to develop into an informed and responsible filmmaker, honing your craft in small groups, within a collaborative and nurturing environment.
Central to our goals is to make film training accessible. As a not-for-profit trust, we offer financially assisted places with all-inclusive course fees, award-winning tutors and access to the very latest equipment, technology and facilities. We invite applicants from all over the world, with any level of experience, but we are looking for proactive, creative and dedicated team players.
Whether you’re an undergraduate, postgraduate, or professional looking for a specialised short course, we cover every filmmaking discipline from fiction to documentary-making. Recognised as a centre of excellence, we are reviewed by the Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education, and partner with some of the most original and forward-thinking voices in the creative industry today.
Our proudest achievement is the continued success of our students. We are delighted to say that over 95% of our diploma graduates are working in the industry within three months. And we’re unique in being able to nurture their on-going productions by offering our graduates membership of our Filmmakers’ Club, with access to networking events, exclusive job lists and advice from some of the world’s greatest filmmakers.
LFA is more than just a film school. If you have a head for film and are passionate, inspired and want to find your own voice; you can rest assured that you’ll leave us equipped with the skills, knowledge and on-going support to succeed in today’s competitive industry.
We look forward to welcoming you to LFA.
Daisy Gili and Anna MacDonald
Co-Founders & Joint Principals
LFA is reviewed by QAA, Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education. The QAA review team formed the following judgements about the higher education provision at London Film Academy:
- The setting and maintenance of the academic standards of awards meet UK expectations.
- The quality of student learning opportunities meets UK expectations.
- The quality of the information about learning opportunities meets UK expectations.
- The enhancement of student learning opportunities meets UK expectations.
The QAA review team identified the following features of good practice at London Film Academy:
- the inclusive and detailed admissions process, which ensures that students are well suited for the course and enables them to succeed (Expectation B2)
- the nurturing, embedded and career-focused support that enables students to reach their full personal, academic and professional potential (Expectation B4).
Why Choose LFA?
Become a filmmaker at London Film Academy
- Multi-disciplinary training by film and TV industry practitioners
- Professional production equipment, post-production facilities, in-house studios and screening theatre.
- Super 16mm and current digital formats with location sound recording
- Films finished to full HD-quality image (1080p)
- Relevant, practical and value-for-money film education
- No hidden costs (film budgets included in the course fees)
- Showcases at film festivals and on digital platforms
- Exclusive job lists and placements
- Centre of excellence
- Reviewed by Qality Assurance Agency for Higher Education
- University progression routes:
- LFA Filmmaking Diploma is recognised by Anglia Ruskin University for progression onto MA Film and Television Production with a credit transfer of 90 M level credits and by University of Hertfordshire for progression on to MA Filmmaking.
- LFA Filmmaking Diploma is also recognised by the University of Hertfordshire for progression on to BA Film and Television.
- LFA Screenwriting Diploma is recognised by Anglia Ruskin University for progression onto MA Creative Writing and by University of Hertfordshire for progression onto MA Screenwriting.
Skills for life
- Collaborative, friendly and inclusive learning environment
- Teamwork and people skills for adaptable and creative filmmakers
- Not for profit organisation
- Financial support and funding advice
- Permanent professional network of contacts in the Film & TV industry
- Careers guidance & mentoring through the LFA Filmmaker's Club
- Values that we live by quality, innovation, continued student and graduate support, collaborative & personable
- Individual talent and creativity is nurtured
The LFA currently has a Super 16mm Arri SR3 and 416 camera kits including Matte box kit, filters and lenses, an ARRI Alexa kit with CP2 Lenses, a Sony FS7a Sony EX3 and a Z1, several Sony HDVs and a Chameleon dolly and track. We have a wide range of grip gear including Ronford, Cartoni and O’Connor heads, a chameleon dolly with jib and a doorway dolly for external productions. We also own an exhaustive range of Fresnel Arri lights, along with open-faced redheads and blondes. We also have a 2.5K HMI, Kinoflo, Dedo Light kits and 1x1 Light Panels, along with a wide selection of flags stands, nets and other grip gear.
Our studio houses a Chameleon dolly with jib arm and a location dolly complete with 50 feet of varying track.
Lighting kits include a range of Arri Fresnel Lights from 300 watts to 2.5kw, standard redhead and blond kits, studio soft lights, a good selection of flags, stands and grip accessories such as magic arms, pelican clamps and poly board holders.
We have a Sound Device 664 and SQN mixers with Sennheiser 8050s and AKG microphones, Sennheiser and Micron Explorer radio mics.
- Post Production
Our Apple editing suites are equipped with AVID Media Composer and Final Cut Pro, with Sony HDV decks, portable hard drives and CD/DVD decks available in all. All show-reel or completed work can be exported onto DVD to broadcast quality standard.