Master in International Sports Law Swiss School of Business and Management
The Master in International Sports Law is designed with the objective to provide you with the latest and most updated knowledge and expertise of both the academic and practical insights of the unique and fascinating field of Law applied to the Sports industry and the Sports Activity. The program is aimed at students, graduated in law or in other relevant academic fields, as well as already experienced lawyers looking to boost their legal careers in the sports sector.
The program is designed and directed by leading experts in sports law and the faculty consist of over 30 international renowned experienced legal experts and will provide you with extensive and a wide range of knowledge on sports law with the aim to equip you with the needed professional tools to either start or improve your career as a sport lawyer
The program follows blended learning, a combination of campus and online methods with 3 key sessions taking place in Geneva, Switzerland.
With the wide sense of sporting rules and dispute resolution jurisprudence, as well as the intradisciplinary topics of sports governance and sport finance, being its vital part, we believe that the Sports Law is a never-stopping game. The very fact that you are learning it makes you one of its players and by completing this program you will be perfectly equipped with the best gear for immediately enter the field (or the pitch) of the Sports Law game!
Key program strengths:
- Rex sport as the proved expert in sports law education + SSBM guaranteeing Swiss quality in education
- Combination of online and on-site – time management + networking
- Combination of academic knowledge and experience transferred from the best industry practitioners
The program focuses on several key areas:
- General principles of sports law
- Understanding the legal system that is the most relevant to sports law
- The private and public legal framework regulating sport
- Internalisation of sport
- Sports law and human rights
- Doping and the fight against this phenomenon
- Sport finance
- Sports organisations: fifa, wada, fifpro, uefa, fiba, eca, etc.
- Sport-related intellectual property issues
- Dispute resolution in sport, both at the national and international level
- CAS, including advocacy skills and specific topics related to the handling of CAS proceedings
The master graduate program is a blended (combination of online and campus-based lectures), 9 months, 60 ECTS program, which will help you learn to analyze complex and multi-faceted sports law environments and to develop advanced knowledge about sports law.
Overall, the International Master in Sports Law is composed of 33 thematic courses that will be taught by experienced leading experts in the sports industry.
For the online learning system, we are using a platform used by Harvard and MIT.
The program offers in-depth courses on sports law disciplines where issues and challenges related to sports law are present.
- 9 months
- 3 campus sessions in Geneva, Switzerland
- Online Lectures on SSBM’s top-notch platform
- 33 Courses
- Personal Advisor
- SSBM Connect
- 60 ECTS Credits
- Taught in English
- Blended format
Our Master in International Sports Law will help you to develop your professional careers in the field of international sports law. Through our international faculty, the program will furnish you with the needed professional tools and will advance your knowledge of sports law in all of its aspects, including the worldwide structure and organization of sports, the interaction between sports law and other fields of law, the rules, and regulations governing the sports industry, the dispute resolution mechanisms in the international context and many others.
Overall this master program brings the following aspects to your career development:
- Conduct professional competency building activities
- Acquire sports law knowledge and expertise
- Develop real-life problem-solving abilities in the sports context
- Provide practical orientation to sports law
- Get a holistic and strategic understanding of sports law
- Implement innovative and creative solutions to sports law
- See different facets of sports law in action
- Acquire an advanced understanding of sports law
- Giving you the opportunity to know colleagues from other countries and establish a strong and extensive network that will escort you for many years ahead in your professional activities
Overview of courses
- Internationalization of Sport
- Jurisdiction & Conflict of Jurisdictions in Sports Disputes
- Sport and Human Rights
- CAS - History, Structure, CAS Code and the handling of Proceedings – An Institutional Insight
- CAS - Practicalities in handling the proceedings from a Party' Counsel Perspective
- Advocacy Skills in CAS proceedings
- Sport Finance
- Employment/Labor Law in the framework of Sport (Employers & Employees perspective)
- Intellectual Property issues related to the port industry: Image rights & Broadcasting rights
- WADA, and the Anti-Doping System, Objectives, Structure, Operation, the WADA Code, Doping Control & Results Management
- WADA and the Anti-doping system; insight from the Athlete's perspective & Interests
- FIFA, Structure, objectives & operation
- Structure and Functioning of UEFA and its relations with the EU
- U.S. Professional Sports Leagues
- Sports Law in South & Latin America
- Basketball: FIBA, Structure, objectives & operation
- Basketball: Euroleague - A Case Study of a Case Study of an Innovative European League
- ECA, European Club Association: mission, structure and main activities
- Professional Football Leagues & the EL; Mission, structure and main activities
- Match Fixing and the fight against this phenomenon
- Structure of a transfer of a football player: Practical issues
Master in International Sports Law
The Master in International Sports Law was designed in partnership with over 30 sports law professionals.
The International Master of Sports Law program is offered in English, brings 60 ECTS credits, and is organized into 33 courses and seminars. Earn your master's degree in 9 months while continuing to work and building your on-the-job experience. The program follows the Blended (combination of Online and on-campus lectures) method.
The practical relevance and applicability of the curriculum are the focal points of this graduate program. The master program course contents cover a broad spectrum of relevant sports law topics, such as Sports Law & Human Rights, CAS – History, Structure, CAS Code and the handling of Proceedings – An Institutional Insight, Sports Finance, Intellectual Property, WADA, FIFA – Structure, objectives & operation, Commercial Rights, Mediation, etc.
During your studies, you will gain access to productive practice-based projects and learn how to apply the curriculum directly to real-life situations.
All of the lectures follow high standards and are delivered by our internationally renowned lecturers. Our professors will keep you engaged, motivated and will provide a high-quality teaching experience in order to leverage your professional development and advance your career.
Experts in Business Education
We are “Experts in Business Education”. Our core values stand on:
We offer Swiss quality through unique Experience, Exchange, Everywhere, and Engagement.
Networking is one of our core strategic directions.
SSBM has signed a strategic partnership with MBA Alumni clubs enabling SSBM MBA students to become members of the MBA Alumni Club. This will provide our MBA students with new networking opportunities to connect with peers from the same, but also different industries. Having a diverse student body is one of SSBM’s main objectives.
How about connecting with your peers, alumni, students, professors, industry leaders, and companies we work with?
SSBM enables this through our unique and innovative “SSBM Connect” platform where you can engage, interact and socialize with the SSBM community!
Still Wondering Why Study at SSBM?
SSBM is a truly innovative and leading business and management school that aims at taking education to a new level!
The Application Process
Applications go through the SSBM’s admissions website.
The admissions team looks for evidence of academic ability as well as indications of past performance and future potential.
Documents to prepare:
- Prepare Your CV/Resume: Professional Resume (in pdf format)
- Your Photo (in jpg/pdf format)
- ID document: Passport/ID document or driver’s license (jpg or pdf format)
- Grades transcript: Most recent transcript or diploma (pdf format only)
Things To Know First
The Common Application is required for students applying to any of SSBM’s programs.
For some of the degrees you have to fulfill some minimum requirements:
- To attend our MBA program you must have at least 180 ECTS from your previous degree.
- Our doctoral degree is open to anyone who already holds a Master's/MBA degree or has extensive professional experience. You must have at least 180 ECTS from your previous degree.
- Our Certificate programs do not have any strict requirements and can be taken by anyone who has acquired or is in the progress of receiving a bachelor's degree.
When To Apply?
You can join our program at any moment once the Admission Committee’s reviews your application. Be certain that you have the necessary qualification for each of our programs. SSBM will review your qualifications during the course of your studies. SSBM reserves the right not to award you a degree if the admission criteria are not met.
What is Next?
After being admitted to our programs, you will receive a letter of admission. Having processed the payment, you will receive an email with your login credentials and will be granted access to our Learn Management System.
SSBM Geneva is ACBSP accredited. ACBSP (Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs) is a leading specialized accreditation body for business education and considered to be one of the best accreditations for business schools. Its mission is to promote continuous improvement and recognize teaching excellence in the accreditation of business education programs throughout the world. ACBSP accredits business, accounting, and business-related programs at the associate, baccalaureate, master, and doctorate degree levels. ACBSP is recognised by the CHEA – Council for Higher Education Accreditation.
The entire program is designed with the on-campus and online approach:
- 3 on-campus sessions taking place in Geneva, Switzerland with 10 thematic courses
- 21 blended courses
- Law firms, audits, and Big Four
- National or international sports intermediary
- Representative Agencies
- Private and public federations and institutions
- National or international sports entities
- Sports Entertainment Industry
- E-Sports and video games
- Organization and management of sports events