Message from the President
Philips University is a dynamic institution that provides intellectually stimulating and challenging undergraduate and graduate programs of study. The programs of Philips University are well-balanced, meaningful, and helpful to students. University faculty, with evidence of teaching and research excellence and commitment to student learning, deliver the programs.
Philips University prides itself on the quality of the research and scholarship of its academics, who continuously explore and push forward the boundaries of existing knowledge. Academic development relies not only on the curriculum and textbooks but also on the expertise of the members of the faculty teaching each class.
Students also benefit from the rich extra-curricular activities of the University. Philips University offers a wide range of sporting, social and other activities which have proved very popular with students.
As a truly European educational institution, Philips University carries out its academic work in modern state-of-the-art custom-built premises which provide an educationally stimulating environment.
We at Philips University look forward to welcoming all our new students and promise to prepare them to fill positions of responsibility within society.
Philippos Constantinou, CPA
President of the Council
History of Philips University
The Philips College was founded in 1978 with the help of the Minister of Education of the United Kingdom at the time, the honorable Gerry Fowler, and the former Chairperson of the Council of the University of Cyprus, Yiannis Koutsakos, along with a well-known psychiatrist, Takis Evdokas and a professional accountant, who became the first Principal of the Philips College, Philippos Constantinou.
- 1981 – Recognition of the first awards – first students transfer to universities in the United Kingdom and the United States of America for postgraduate studies.
- 1996 – Recognition of awards from the Philips College by the Council of National Academic Awards of Ireland.
- 2000 – Accreditation of selected Philips College awards by the National Accreditation Body of Cyprus (SEKAP).
- 2005 – Publication of Law 109(I)/2005, covering private universities in Cyprus.
- 2005 – 2011 – Amendments to the Law covering private universities: Law 197(I)/2007, 90(I)/2008, 75(I)/2010, 115(I)/2010, 74(I)/2011.
- 2011 – The Philips College becomes a member of the Association of Commonwealth Universities.
- 2015 – The Cyprus Agency of Quality Assurance and Accreditation in Higher Education (DI.P.A.E.) established in November 2015, by Law (N.136(I)/2015), as the competent authority for quality assurance and accreditation in Higher Education in the Republic of Cyprus.
- 2018 – The initial license to operate a university with the name Philips University was granted by the Council of the Cyprus Agency of Quality Assurance and Accreditation of Higher Education at its 37th Meeting on 11 December 2018.
- 2019 – The license to operate Philips University and its registration in the Registry of Universities was granted by the Cyprus Council of Ministers during their meetings on 15 October 2019; reference decision No. 88.356.
Our Mission and Objectives
The Mission of Philips University is to provide high-quality research and teaching by attracting, developing, and retaining highly qualified staff and students with outstanding academic potential. Through appropriate processes of continuous improvement, the University aspires to the excellence of quality in all aspects of its work and aims to develop a culture in which both students and staff can contribute significantly to the advancement of society.
- The promotion of knowledge, science, and education, encouraging critical thinking and intellectual growth, to students and the community.
- The cultivation, production, dissemination, application, and exchange of new knowledge and the use of the possibilities offered by technology.
- The provision of recognized high-quality undergraduate and postgraduate education.
The community of students at Philips University, the faculty, the staff, and alumni all rely on shared deeply held values that guide behavior and actions.
Above all, we at Philips University value intellectual integrity, freedom of inquiry and expression, and the equality and dignity of all individuals. These values form the foundations of ethical conduct in research, teaching, learning, and service.
We value excellence in teaching, research, and creative activity that enriches learning experiences, advances knowledge, inspires engaged citizenship, and promotes the public good.
We appreciate learners from all age groups and walks of life and strive to provide an intellectually rewarding educational environment for all.
Philips University aspires to be recognized as a leading university amongst public and private universities in the region by providing high-quality teaching and research to the community. Our process for identifying how to achieve our fundamental goals relies on input from students, faculty, staff, and alumni.