Keystone logo
University Of Maryland Baltimore Doctor of Computer Engineering
University Of Maryland Baltimore

Doctor of Computer Engineering

Baltimore, USA

Request duration


Request pace

Request application deadline

Request earliest startdate

Request tuition fees



UMBC’s Computer Science and Electrical Engineering Department offers both M.S. and Ph.D. programs in Computer Engineering. Below you will find information on the Computer Engineering graduate program, research areas in Electrical and Computer Engineering, as well as information about the application process.

Ph.D.: Students are required to take a minimum of 11 courses (33 credits) beyond the bachelor’s degree. At least seven of these courses (21 credits) must be graduate ENEE or CMPE courses, i.e., ENEE/CMPE courses at the 600 or 700 level. The remaining four courses (12 credits) can be CMSC, MATH, STAT, or from any other related discipline at the 600-level or above with the following stipulation and exception:

  • Only three credits of Independent Study (ENEE/CMPE 699) can count toward the total course requirement.
  • Students who have received their Masters at UMBC are allowed to count two 400 level MATH/STAT courses for the PhD degree with approval of their advisors.

The doctoral dissertation must be an original and substantive contribution to knowledge in the student’s major field. It must demonstrate the student’s ability to carry out a program of research and to report the results in accordance with standards observed in the recognized scientific journals related to that field.

Doctoral students must: (a) submit their PhD Comprehensive Portfolio and receive a pass grade (P) within four (4) semesters of entrance to the program (six (6) semesters for part-time students); (b) develop and defend a doctoral dissertation proposal and be admitted to doctoral candidacy within four (4) years of entrance to the program (five (5) years for part-time students); and (c) complete all Ph.D. requirements for their field of specialty within four (4) years of admission to doctoral candidacy.

Students must receive a grade of B or better in two of the Group A courses.

Requests for approval of non-CMPE/ENEE course credits must be submitted before registering for the course. There is a form available for this request and must be signed by the student’s research advisor.

About the School