LLM in International Commercial Law University of Sussex
Develop the practical skills needed to act as a legal adviser in the resolution of international commercial disputes.
Global commercial transactions are becoming more complex, posing new legal challenges in areas such as:
- cross-border contracts for the supply of goods or services
- finance and securities
- international dispute resolution
You’ll learn about the legal framework that governs commercial activities and cross-border transactions.
You’ll engage with cutting-edge research. Sussex has internationally recognised academics in international commercial law. You’ll learn how to apply the law in a commercial setting and also develop critical perspectives. You'll be able to assess cutting-edge scenarios and recent reforms in international commercial law.
This course is ideal if you’re already a legal practitioner in your home country, although this is not essential as long as you have completed basic legal education.
The University of Sussex is located at Falmer on the outskirts of Brighton and is the only UK university surrounded by a national park. Brighton is one of the top-10 city beach destinations in the world (Lonely Planet), an hour away from Central London by train and 30 minutes from London Gatwick, one of the UK’s major international airports.
This course will enable you to work as a legal practitioner in a variety of roles, for example:
- advising on cross-border commercial transactions
- as an arbitrator in international commercial disputes
- as a government official
- as an expert in an NGO or international organisation
Recent Sussex Law School graduates have gone on to jobs including:
- legal counsel, Siemens
- regulatory specialist, UBS
- associate, CQ Legal & Consulting
(Sussex Law School careers database)
Full-time and part-time study
Choose to study this course full time or part-time, to fit around your work and personal life. Modules for the full-time course are listed below.
For details about the part-time course, please contact us.
Core modules are taken by all students on the course. They give you a solid grounding in your chosen subject and prepare you to explore the topics that interest you most.
- LLM Dissertation
- Advanced Legal Research and Writing
- Law of International Business Transactions
- Transnational Commercial Law
Alongside your core modules, you can choose options to broaden your horizons and tailor your course to your interests.
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Carriage of Goods by Sea
- International and Comparative Company Law
- International Aspects of Intellectual Property and Technology Regulation
- International Business and Human Rights
- International Commercial Arbitration
- International Environmental Law
- International Investment Law
- Regulating the Creative Industries
- Transnational Corporate Finance Law
Program Tuition Fee
Scholarships and Funding
Postgraduate Masters loans
You can borrow up to £11,222 to help with fees and living costs if your course starts on or after 1 August 2022. Loans are available from the Student Loans Company if you’re from the UK or if you’re an EU national studying for a Masters.
Our aim is to ensure that every student who wants to study with us is able to despite financial barriers so that we continue to attract talented and unique individuals.
English Language Requirements
Certify your English proficiency with the Duolingo English Test! The DET is a convenient, fast, and affordable online English test accepted by over 4,000 universities (like this one) around the world.