Entertainment Law LLM
University of Westminster
London, United Kingdom
Full time, Part time
GBP 15,000 / per year **
Request info *
Earliest start date
* we urge applicants to apply as soon possible and recommend applicants to apply at least three months before the course starts
** international - UK/EU: £12,500/year
Post graduate Open Evening
Wednesday 4 October 2023, 5:30-7PM(BST)
Entertainment, in forms such as music, film, media, sports and the arts, is a large part of life globally. It's a combination of society, popular culture and commerce, and the interaction of these with law produces an exciting, contemporary subject. It's an area deeply affected by technological progress as well as business adaptation.
Our Entertainment Law LLM combines academic analysis and commercial practice elements of entertainment law from an international perspective. The diverse nature of entertainment law will enable you to follow a number of relevant specialisms, all of which are underpinned by issues of contract and intellectual property.
The course is for you if you're a graduate from a law background or if you're from a non-law background but have significant relevant experience. There have been many successful international graduates on the course from all over the world. Studying this course will give you the opportunity to explore new ideas, thoughts and academic experiences within a supportive environment.
The course aims to develop your understanding of how key fields within the entertainment industries operate, assess the impact of the law upon them, and give you the practical skills necessary to succeed in a career in entertainment and media law.
Top reasons to study with us
- Learn in the heart of London – Studying at our campus in central London, you'll be perfectly placed to access London's legal, cultural and entertainment resources
- Prepare for your career in entertainment law – Our course will give you a systematic and structured knowledge of the entertainment business and the impact of the law on it, and specific areas of entertainment law
- Study on a vibrant multicultural course – The Entertainment Law LLM attracts students from many countries and backgrounds, which creates a uniquely vibrant and stimulating learning environment
- Learn from experts – Our teaching staff includes renowned researchers who have widely published in entertainment law, and we arrange expert-led, industry-focused seminars
- Flexible start time – You can begin the course in September or January
- An established course – We have over twenty-two years of experience in delivering Entertainment Law courses
Why study this course?
- Fantastic central London location
You'll be studying in the centre of one of the world’s greatest cities, within easy reach of London's unrivalled cultural, legal and entertainment resources.
- Vibrant research community
Our well-established Centre for Law, Society and Popular Culture organises activities including the Theory Meets Practice and Film Matters seminar series and coordinates the Entertainment and Sports Law Journal.
- Enhance your career prospects
Our course is designed to give you the analytical and practical skills and knowledge of the entertainment industry to succeed in your career in entertainment and media law.
As an entertainment law graduate, you'll be able to develop a career in a range of professions within the entertainment industry, including in sports, music, and media and communications law. The subject gives a modern edge to traditional law subjects and is well respected by employers.
- Supporting your career
We offer 1-2-1 appointments with careers advisors, advice on your CV and job applications, and mock assessment centres and interviews. We also run a Law vacancy jobs bulletin.
- Industry links
You'll have access to events and workshops with law firms, alumni, and career professionals to help you to get started in your law career through our Legal Skills Academy.
- Employers around the world
The University’s Careers and Employability Service has built up a network of over 3,000 employers around the world, helping all our students explore and connect with exciting opportunities and careers.
Recent guest speakers for students on this course have included:
- Daniel Geey and Chris Paget, sports/music law partners, Sheridans Solicitors
- Ed Weideman, entertainment law partner solicitor, Simkins Solicitors
- Philip Kolvin QC, licensing law expert
- Sir Richard Arnold, Lord Justice of the Court of Appeal of England and Wales, visiting professor at the University of Westminster
This course will prepare you for a variety of roles, including:
- Lawyer (attorney) in countries around the world (subject to fulfilling relevant national requirements)
- Business, commercial or legal advisor roles in media, music, sports or publishing corporations and organisations
Our graduates also include music managers, event organisers and film directors.
Graduates from this course have found employment at organisations including:
- Music Managers Forum
The following modules are indicative of what you'll study in this course.
- Intellectual Property in the Entertainment Business
- Postgraduate Dissertation in Entertainment Law
- The Regulation of Relationships in the Entertainment Business
- Merchandising in the Entertainment Business
- Law and Media: Content and Control
- Law of Digital Entertainment and Social Media
- The Entertainment Business: Regulation, Licensing and Events
Program Tuition Fee
Scholarships and Funding
The University is dedicated to supporting ambitious and outstanding students and we offer a variety of scholarships to eligible undergraduate students, which cover all or part of your tuition fees.
English Language Requirements
Certify your English proficiency with the Duolingo English Test! The DET is a convenient, fast, and affordable online English test accepted by over 4,000 universities (like this one) around the world.