International Law LLM
University of Westminster
London, United Kingdom
Full time, Part time
GBP 17,000 / per year **
Request info *
Earliest start date
* we urge applicants to apply as soon possible and recommend applicants to apply at least three months before the course starts
** international | UK: £12,500
Masters Online Open Day - 28 February 12-13.30 GMT
To learn more about studying for a postgraduate degree at the University of Westminster, join our online open day. Speak to course leaders and current students online, and get advice on admissions. Follow the link for more information and to book!
With globalisation, international law is becoming increasingly important, and our International Law LLM prepares you for a future career in the international arena. Our teaching team is composed of world-renowned scholars who are leading the way in their respective subjects, including – but not limited to – international human rights law, the law of armed conflict, development law, energy and climate change law, international cyber security law, refugee law, the law of the sea, international courts and tribunals. In previous years, our teaching team organised study visits to international organisations and to international courts in London and The Hague.
Our International Law LLM attracts students from every nationality and background, not only those who have previously studied law but also those with a degree in political science, international relations, or another relevant discipline. This creates a uniquely vibrant and stimulating learning environment in which to study international law.
The International Law LLM at Westminster Law School is taught in our central London campus, just a short distance from most major British institutions and international organisations. The course can be taken full-time or part-time, and you can start in either September or January.
We also have a research group, International Law at Westminster (ILaW), which conducts important research projects on topical international law issues. These projects have received external funding because of their importance and their potential impact. ILaW also regularly organises events in which students are invited to participate.
Every year, the Oxford University Press Prize is awarded to the best International Law LLM student.
The course will enhance your understanding of the key principles of public international law, the main developments within the public international law framework and the process of globalisation and its significance for international law.
Top reasons to study with us
- Learn in the heart of London – Studying at our Regent Campus in central London, you'll be part of a diverse, global community.
- Tailor the course to your interests – You can choose from a wide list of specialist international law modules.
- Be part of a vibrant academic community – You'll learn alongside students not only from law but also related subjects and be part of the International Law at Westminster research community.
- Learn from experts – Our teaching team is composed of world-class researchers who have widely published in their fields of expertise.
Why study this course?
- Fantastic central London location
You'll be studying in the centre of one of the world’s greatest cities, within easy reach of London's unrivalled legal, cultural and political resources.
- Be part of our international law community
You'll have the opportunity to get involved in the activities of our International Law at Westminster research cluster, where you can build contacts with leading professionals and participate in events on topical international law issues.
- Develop your legal knowledge and skills
You'll enhance your understanding of international law and gain a critical awareness of current issues and new insights in this area, as well as develop your research, analytical and broader transferable skills.
Our graduates have worked for organisations such as the United Nations, the European Union, the International Committee of the Red Cross, the UN High Commissioner for Refugees, Amnesty International, and Privacy International; law and consultancy firms such as Deloitte; professional associations like the European Banking Federation; and in legal departments within governments.
After being awarded the LLM, some graduates have undertaken further academic study by doing a research (PhD) degree.
- Supporting your career
We offer 1-2-1 appointments with careers advisors, advice on your CV and job applications, and mock assessment centres and interviews. We also run a law vacancy jobs bulletin.
- Industry links
You'll have access to events and workshops with law firms, alumni, and career professionals to help you to get started in your law career through our Legal Skills Academy.
- Employers around the world
The University’s Careers and Employability Service has built up a network of over 3,000 employers around the world, helping all our students explore and connect with exciting opportunities and careers.
This course will prepare you for a variety of roles, including:
- Human rights officer
- International law expert in law firms
- Legal advisor in governmental departments
- Legal advisor in International organisations and NGOs
Graduates from this course have found employment at organisations including:
- Amnesty International
- European Union
- International Committee of the Red Cross
- UK government
- United Nations
- UN High Commissioner for Refugees
The following modules are indicative of what you will study in this course.
- Postgraduate Dissertation in International Law
- Public International Law
- International Criminal Law
- International and European Refugee Law
- International Energy and Climate Change Law
- International Environmental Law
- International Humanitarian Law
- International Human Rights Law
- International Law and Development
- Peaceful Settlement of International Disputes
- United Nations Law
Program Tuition Fee
Scholarships and Funding
The University is dedicated to supporting ambitious and outstanding students and we offer a variety of scholarships to eligible undergraduate students, which cover all or part of your tuition fees.
English Language Requirements
Certify your English proficiency with the Duolingo English Test! The DET is a convenient, fast, and affordable online English test accepted by over 4,000 universities (like this one) around the world.