New Company Connects Law Students to Pro Bono Work

Aug 1, 2017 at 12:00am ET By Alyssa Walker

Interested in pro bono work?  A new company aims to match you with the right project.

Lawyers Felicity Conrad and Kristen Sonday recently co-founded Paladin, which uses technology to connect the US’s 1.3 million lawyers with pro bono work—all in the name of making the world a better place. 

The American Bar Association recommends that all lawyers do at least 50 hours of pro bono work each year.  If every one of the US’s lawyers did that, people in need could receive over 6 million hours of pro bono work every year.

How does it work?  Conrad and Sonday explain Paladin in a recent article in Forbes.

Sonday says, “Paladin is a two-sided marketplace: On one side, attorneys create profiles based on their backgrounds, interests, special skills and availability, and on the other side, legal aid organization source well-aligned opportunities.  Once an attorney indicates interest in a particular case, we facilitate an introduction other referring organization and help track their case progress and impact.”

The company’s mission, to use innovation and collaboration to build a more equitable future for everyone has wide appeal, aims to “close the justice gap.”

Conrad explains, “Surprisingly, only about 20 percent of attorneys at firms and corporations have pro bono departments because building out programs can be expensive and time-consuming.  On the other side, 80 percent of people who need free legal help in America currently don’t get it.  Paladin is using technology to bridge that gap!”

Interested in learning more?  Learn more about law.

 

 

 

Alyssa Walker is a freelance writer, educator, and nonprofit consultant. She lives in the White Mountains of New Hampshire with her family.

Add your comment

News

image
October 24, 2017

While you might have learned all about martial law in your history classes, a new type of mar- law is on the horizon. Here’s a closer look at th...


image
October 17, 2017

The Intellectual Property Office recently published a variety of tools for educators and students to use. Why? In our age of innovation and commerce, ...


image
October 12, 2017

The UK held a series of ceremonies on October 2nd in which the new heads of the judiciary in the UK took office. Sworn in were two particularly notewo...


comments powered by Disqus