As Florida’s first law school, Stetson has educated outstanding lawyers, judges and community leaders for more than a century. Stetson is a top-100 law school, ranked #1 in trial advocacy and #3 in legal writing by U.S. News & World Report, and is fully accredited by the American Bar Association and Association of American Law Schools.
Stetson University College of Law is an active part of the Tampa Bay metro area, with its main law campus in Gulfport/St. Petersburg and a satellite center in Tampa. The law school is a part of Stetson University, with a College of Arts and Sciences, School of Business Administration, and School of Music in DeLand, and a university satellite center in Celebration.
Dean Christopher Pietruszkiewicz leads a diverse team of faculty, administrators and staff according to the mission and values of the College of Law and Stetson University.
Stetson at a Glance
- Ranked No. 1 for trial advocacy and No. 3 for legal writing by U.S. News & World Report
- Individual attention to student needs
- Talented, accessible faculty who excel in their fields
- State-of-the-art library and classrooms
- Seven courtrooms
- J.D. certificates of concentration in advocacy, elder law, environmental law, international law and social justice
- Dual degree and joint degree options: J.D./LL.M. in Advocacy, J.D./M.B.A., J.D./M.P.H., J.D./M.I.E.L. in International Economic Law, and J.D./M.E.B.L in European Business Law
- LL.M. degrees in advocacy, elder law and international law
- One of few U.S. law schools to share space with a working court, Florida's Second District Court of Appeal
- The first law school in Florida to require pro bono service by students and faculty
- Excellent career development and bar preparation services. Recently named one of the Best LLM Programs for Career Opportunities by International Jurist Magazine.
- Centers for Excellence in Advocacy, Elder Law, Higher Education Law and Policy, and International Law
- Home to Institutes for Biodiversity Law, Caribbean Law, Legal Communication, and Veterans Law
- Home to four academic journals: Stetson Law Review, Journal for International Aging Law and Policy, Journal for International Wildlife Law and Policy, and Stetson Journal of Advocacy and the Law
- Honors program for top-ranked students
- 45 student organizations
- National and world champion advocacy teams
- Wide variety of clinic and internship opportunities
- Vibrant campus life with diverse student organizations, interscholastic activities and competitions
- Eight study abroad and six foreign exchange programs
- Main law campus in Gulfport/St. Petersburg with satellite center near downtown Tampa
7 Great Reasons to Consider Stetson Law:
- The strength of our academic programs.
Stetson professor teaches classWe are proud to be ranked #1 for trial advocacy and #3 for legal writing by U.S. News & World Report. Stetson is also a leader in the areas of elder law, biodiversity-environmental law, higher education law, international law, social justice, veterans law, Caribbean law, and other areas of legal study. Stetson offers five J.D. certificate of concentration programs, more than 60 skills electives, and joint or dual-degree options for J.D./LL.M., J.D./M.B.A., and J.D./M.P.H.
- Opportunities to gain practical legal experience.
Clinical education participantsStetson offers students more than 400 clinic and externship opportunities annually across the Tampa Bay, Florida metropolitan area. With more than 30 clinic and externship courses at approximately 60 hosting organizations, Stetson joins a handful of other law schools across the country who guarantee that every student can participate in a clinic or externship course during law school.
- Scholarships for lowering the cost of higher education.
Stetson student veteranIn Fall 2015, 55% of new J.D. students received scholarships. All admitted first-year students are automatically considered for multi-year scholarships. Beginning with the 2016-2017 academic year, Stetson will support an unlimited number of qualified veterans or eligible dependents with the GI Bill’s Yellow Ribbon Program.
- A beautiful campus located in sunny Tampa Bay, Florida.
Stetson Law campusStetson’s 21-acre, palm-tree lined main campus in Gulfport/St. Petersburg was once a 1920s resort frequented by Babe Ruth and other celebrities. Today, our historical buildings are supplemented with 3,920 network connections, seven working courtrooms, 50 library group study rooms, a swimming pool, and a law library with more than 419,000 volumes. Need a break from studying? Trip Advisor’s #4-ranked best beach (St. Pete Beach) is five minutes from campus.
- Faculty who love teaching law and care about students’ success.
Stetson professor advises studentOur professors are involved in almost every aspect of campus life and are passionate about working with students both inside and outside the classroom. Faculty from throughout the law school spend time serving as mentors, advising student organizations, and coaching advocacy teams. Our faculty are authors, lawyers, and leaders in their areas of legal expertise.
- Career development services for both students and graduates.
Career development staff advises studentAn accessible career development staff supports students with individual coaching sessions, group meetings and programs. Stetson’s “Career Toolkit” workshop series provides a framework for career planning and job searching. Our staff has established relationships with the Tampa Bay area legal community and works to help graduates find their ideal careers.
- Study abroad programs in the Cayman Islands, Cuba, England, South Korea, Spain, and The Netherlands.
Stetson study abroad participantsOur students can explore the world while earning academic credit and meeting legal experts in faraway countries. In addition to Stetson’s summer abroad and semester programs, Stetson also has international exchange agreements with universities in Australia, England, Ireland, France, and Spain.
This school offers programs in: